Sunday, September 09, 2018

What are YOU training for?

When a runner meets another runner, or even one not seen for a while, the most common question is, "What are you training for?" The implication is that there must be something looming to keep you out on the roads and trails. Depending on one's level, it might well be a half or full marathon, or possibly an ultramarathon. It's pretty rare to hear something like, "Oh, nothing. I just like to run."

But that's exactly what I've been saying for months now. After doing more racing than usual during the first half of the year, I've switched to running for fun only. Here is the result:

I'm feeling pretty darn good! Still not 100%, as the Achilles Tendonitis *still* does act up after a long or hard run, but I've had it way worse. I do miss the competition, but that's a small price to pay for being able to run mostly pain-free.

And I am running. I'm still doing around sixty miles a week, although said miles continue to get slower all the time. My longer runs on the weekends are especially enjoyable.

Today and yesterday I ran in the rain. I know what you're thinking: that Dan doesn't like rain. But actually, he does. He just doesn't like running in cold rain. Even though a jacket was necessary today, these 18 and 10-mile runs don't qualify for cold rain designation. Therefore, I did enjoy them.

This is not to say that there won't be a race in the fall. But it's not on the calendar just yet.

No comments: