Monday, October 29, 2018

About to Roll it Over

Remember when automobile odometers only had five digits? Probably not, but I do. It was fairly rare to have a car make it to 100,000 miles; most broke down or rusted out well before that. When you did get your car to that 100K mark, it was a Big Deal. We called this, 'rolling it over.'


That's about to happen to me. As of today, October 29, 2018, I have run 99,963.2 miles. Although we human beings don't have mechanical or even electronic odometers, some of us are numbers people. Most, however, are probably less interested in such things as I am. But I still think it's sort of a Big Deal for any human to make it to 100K without rusting out or breaking down.

Each mile is documented. When I began running, I wrote my mileage, and sometimes my time, in red (it had to be red for some reason) on the appropriate day of a pocket calendar. I still have them. Except, that is for 1980; I don't know where that went, so I don't count it. In the mid-nineties, I began tracking my mileage electronically. Later still, I began using a GPS tracker.

I thought I'd perhaps make a big fuss and have a group run to celebrate my achievement as it occurs. It doesn't look like that will work out, however. My plans are to run about ten miles tomorrow (Tuesday) and then ten again on Thursday. I'll do just a couple to loosen up on Saturday, and then Sunday is the race: the Veterans Marathon in Indiana Pennsylvania. If my math is correct, and if I follow said plan (which shouldn't be difficult), it (the rollover) should occur during that race.

Rolling it over during a marathon. Maybe that's appropriate.

No comments: