Saturday, February 08, 2020

Valentine's 8K Run/Walk Race Report

A race a week after a marathon? In Destin, Florida? Eight kilometers? Meaning I'd have to run fast?

Yes, yes, yes, and haha.

The race was the Valentine's 8K Run/Walk put on by the Northwest Florida Track Club. Debbie said she would make the trip with me, and so did our friends Patti and Mike Busser.

Temps were nice - 60-ish with bright sun and some wind. The race started and ended at an amusement park called the Track. We runners took off and my three companions went to breakfast. It was a nice little race out and back on the Destin residential streets.

I didn't go in with high expectations. Okay, maybe a teensy bit faster than last week's marathon pace would be nice. That would only be around 45 minutes. Surely I could do that, or maybe even faster??

Even with said marathon only six days in my past, I did okay. All my miles were in the low eight-minute range, except the last; it was slightly better than eight. My final time was 40:30. And I won my ancient age group.

Not too shabby.

Afterward, we had a nice walk around Grayton Beach.

No comments: