Sunday, October 18, 2020

Boston 2.0 Race Report

Ever had one of those races where everything goes well, and just according to plan? Me neither. But Boston 2.0 came fairly close. With perfect running conditions (great weather, flat course, simple logistics, etc.) I ran as well as I could have expected: 3:49 and change.

Race Director Brian Polen did a good job on this replacement for canceled Boston. I believe this run itself may have been postponed, but I'm glad it happened. And it seemed to be done with much care towards keeping everyone safe from the coronavirus. Good job, Brian!

The out and back course took place almost entirely on an all-purpose trail in Ohio Amish Country. In this part of the world, all-purpose includes horses and buggies. I encountered several during the sojourn. I ran much of the way with Debbie Horn, who lives not too far away and who usually runs about my pace. Give or take.

In fact, we had a bet riding on this one: the loser would buy the winner a beer. I don't often bet on my races, especially with a world-class ultrarunner like Debbie. But -> I managed to outlast her this day. And I am looking forward to the "Amish" beer. However, there's this:

Two questions remain. One: when you encounter an Amish buggy on an all-purpose trail, do you go to the left or the right? No one seemed to know which way was best, but I usually went to the left because there seemed to be more room on that side. I didn't want to upset the horses. Or the riders. Two: Debbie now wants to bet me double or nothing. We are both running the Northern Ohio Marathon in two weeks. I'm not sure I'll be able to run this well again so soon. What should I do?




No comments: