Saturday, October 07, 2023

You can observe a lot, just by watching

Today's run didn't feel quite so bad. I could kinda even keep up with people. A little. Maybe this downward spiral of a training cycle is finally beginning to turn around. Then again, maybe not.

I would have probably registered for last week's Akron Marathon had I known that our planned out-west trip would be canceled due to concern about a possible government shutdown. You know. The one that didn't happen after all. So there I was, all dressed up and not registered to run. Of course, a few weeks past my August Marathon, I wasn't in what you'd call tip-top shape anyway. What to do? Get a run from home early, then drive to Akron to watch all my friends finish. I would at least be able to help them celebrate and share their joy!

The road closures got me. Two (2) freeway closures, and I was in Akron proper. But then I had to get past all the roads that were closed due to the race. And this number was legion. My Google Maps app kept warning me that such and such road may be closed, but then took me that way anyway, just (I guess) so that I could confirm that it was closed. So of course, I did. After an awful lot of evasive maneuvering to get around people, traffic, barriers, etc. I finally found myself not too awfully far from the finish area. 

But then, I would still need to find a place to park. By this time, I was so tired and frustrated, that I turned around and went home, sorry to have missed the experience altogether.

Spectating for today's Canal Corridor 100-mile run was a little better. I found my way to Canal Fulton, mile 35 on the course, where Towpath goes right on through. I was able to find my friends who were running and to cheer them on. It was a beautiful, cool, cloudy and sunny, sharp fall day. Who would have thought that spectating for a 100-mile run would be smoother than doing so for a marathon? Not me. I may even go and watch the finish early tomorrow morning. 

Who knows? Maybe I'll get inspired to run another 100.

Nope. I'm being reminded that a lot can happen during a day's worth of running. And only a small few of those are good.

No comments: