Sunday, January 28, 2024

Big Beach Marathon Race Report

The event is the Big Beach Marathon in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Gulf Shores is a very beachy place, and they do a great job with their marathon. Most importantly, they arranged for good running weather today.

Me, Andy, and Michelle at the start

I meet up with Michelle and Andy Wolff. They had done yesterday's 7K run, which took place in rainstorm of biblical proportions. Today is infinitely better. I talk with Andy a bit during the first mile, and then I slowly reel in the 4-Hour Pace Group, catching them by around mile 2. That was harder than it should have been.

The group is led by a guy who appears to be out for an easy-peasy jog. He keeps a pretty good pace, and I tuck in with the group for several miles. Now, running these nine-minute miles is starting to feel easy. Too Easy. Control yourself, Dan.

I don't. I get out ahead of them for some middle miles, but then they get ahead of me a few times as well. This hide and seek stuff is probably not good for me. I should just stay on an even keel and not get ahead of them at all. I do. This works just fine. Until it doesn't.

The course has been taking us all around and through Gulf State Park. It's entirely on the nice, quiet paved trails therein. Except when it isn't. It isn't when it's on elevated boardwalks. There hasn't been a whole lot of those boardwalks, until about mile 17. From then on, there are tons of them. It seems like two or more miles of boards through the park campground around miles 17-19. After we finally get back to terra firma, I move out ahead of the pace group for what I hope is the last time.

Whereas their nine-minute miles had still felt easy, my slightly faster miles are now feeling just right. Until they don't. I slow back down a bit as we hit even more boardwalks in the last few miles. The icing on the cake is the hill up to the pedestrian bridge over the highway. That slows me down a lot.

Until it doesn't. I try to pick it up on the downhill side, but then I get tripped up (but manage to not do a faceplant) on one of the last ten or so boards of the day. I suppose I should be happy that that's the only time that happened, considering my running style and the sheer number of boards.

Now there's only about a mile and a quarter to go. The weather has been absolutely wonderful. Until now, when it isn't. The wind, which hasn't been bad, stands me up and slows me down. I struggle through a slow final mile, but I manage to finish in a vertical position.

My time is 3:57, good for a 9:03 pace. That's good for first in my ancient age group. Nice race on a good day. Had I been able to run those final two miles as fast as the others, it would have been an even more-than-good day.


My loot - the lunch container and the plaque are from the AG win

A couple later additions, care of the race.

At the finish

My Major Award(s)



1 comment:

Zman said...

Congrats on winning the ancients grouping.