… What would you think if I sang out of tune?Would you stand up and walk out on me?Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a songAnd I'll try not to sing out of key
… Oh, I get by with a little help from my friendsMm, I get high with a little help from my friendsMm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
… What do I do when my love is away?Does it worry you to be alone?How do I feel by the end of the day?Are you sad because you're on your own?
… No, I get by with a little help from my friendsMm, get high with a little help from my friendsMm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
… Do you need anybody?I need somebody to loveCould it be anybody?I want somebody to love
I thought I would be alone for this longest of long runs. Thankfully, I wasn't. There may be one or two more before the Kauai Marathon, but this would be the biggest and most important long-run test. And guess what? I passed! Here's how it all went down.
Arrive bright and early at 4:50, and immediately start the Hinckley nine. It's very dark, but guess who forgot their headlamp. After a slow start, after struggling up the hills, the final three miles are much better, so you're (barely) on time to meet Shannon Barnes at 6:30.
Now, it's time for a couple of lake loops and a two-miler. That's all Shannon has time for, so she (almost literally) hands you off to Julie Boggs and Theresa Stevens.
After two more lake loops, it's 9:30, and you're done. No, not just done. Done, done. You find yourself explaining to Theresa and Julie that you used to say that back in your project management days. Any project could be done; but only when a project is truly finished, with no potential follow-up or follow-on work is it done, done.
None of this would have gone nearly as well without that little help from my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment