Saturday, April 23, 2022

As long as it gets. Today's run, turn by turn

303

Why can't I run 18 or more miles at a shot anymore? Because I can't even run 14. Recognizing once again that progress isn't on a straight line, and that my overall mileage has in fact improved over time, I nonetheless desperately want to be able to do these long runs once again. Thus today's goal is 12-14. Maybe next week I'll be able to extend that further, but one run at a time. I turn from my subdivision onto 303. To avoid traffic, I run as little as possible on this busy state route, but in this early Saturday morning gloom, it's not too bad. I'm as awake as I can be at this hour. I guess.

Substation

Now I'm headed South, into the light wind. The route will take me down several semi-rural roads like this one. It's been a while since I've tackled this 11-mile course. (I am aware that 11 is not 12 to 14, but I can add some on after I return home.) I like these byways a lot, so long as the traffic is light. Substation's speed limit is 45, and there is little room to get off to the side when a car does go by. I pick up the pace a little, but these few miles are mostly downhill. I reflect that I'm running alone on a Saturday, and how unusual that is. But all my peeps are off doing races this weekend. Oh, how I wish I could do that as well.

Hamilton

After the turn from Substation, I run downhill some more as I pass miles 4 and 5, and a few cars go by, mostly around the Marks intersection. I'm still doing okay, although I become a little concerned when I struggle a little much going up the hill to Abbeyville.

Abbeyville

Okay, this is getting real. I'm only a little past half-way, and I'm slowing to a crawl. I guess the trifecta of Thursday's oral surgery, the resulting penicillin, and yesterday's second Covid booster has gotten to me.

Muntz

This is just a short uphill stretch, but I'm practically walking. Nothing hurts, especially, but I am Soooo tired.

Sleepy Hollow

Now I'm heading East again, and it feels like I'm finally on my way home. Never mind that I've still got 4 miles to go, and that I'm barely moving. I just want to lay down on the side of the road and go to sleep. But that won't get me there, now will it? I should say that even though today's run is most assuradly not going as well as I wanted it to, I'm still enjoying it. A wild turkey runs across the road up ahead, and I'm enjoying all the other birds and mammals that I'm encountering as well.

Substation

At this point, I am not physically able to go any slower, so I speed up. But only a bit. With only two miles to go, I can smell home.

303 and back in the subdivision

Lots of traffic on 303, but that's to be expected; it's taken me 30-60 minutes longer than it should have to get back here, so it's practically mid-day (not really). I squash any thoughts of adding anything on to the 11 miles to get up to 12 or beyond; I am done. No, let me correct that. I am done done.


No comments: