Friday, April 15, 2022

Cruisin'

Running fast has occasionally been referred to as cruising. Running fast is most assuredly not what this post is about. It's about a different type of cruising; the type you do when you get fat and don't exercise. And on the Oceania Marina sailing from Miami to Trieste, Italy, that's pretty much what I did. But I did run a little.

Okay, maybe you could say I ran a bit more than a little. Not that I didn't get fat and hardly exercise, mind you, but even so, run mile after mile, I did. It was all-around deck 15 at 10 laps per mile, once again. But that was only when they had it opened up. Most days, especially sea days, it was closed due to high winds. And believe me, you do not want to be caught up there when the winds are blowing. So the majority of my miles were on the mill. I made the best of the situation, such as it was.

Don't get me wrong. When you do run on deck, it can be awesome to watch the night sky give way to the rising sun. It's especially fantastical when we're also coming into port. I only wish I'd been allowed up there more.

I did finally get land-based runs in during our stops at Katakolon, Greece, and Corfu, Greece. These were just short runs when I had a little time. Katakolon was short and hilly, but it sure felt good.

And why didn't I run on dry land (any more than that) when we were in port? The short answer is that I didn't have the time. We were busy at every port, seeing and experiencing things. I may have had some time in a couple of the afternoons, but by then I was totally worn out.

For more on the cruise without the running content, click here.


No comments: