Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Running m Y A S S O ff

It's track Tuesday, so I'm here at Claggett, just ahead of everyone else. We'll be making an attempt at some kind of abbreviated Yasso workout, notwithstanding the freezing, frosty cold. In fact, it's so cold that..... WHOA. THAT was a Big, Bright meteor. It goes down, possibly all the way to the ground, changing colors as it descends. A little later, when Andy and Michelle Wolff show up, I suggest that they check their roof for big holes when they get home since the possible landing looked to be in the vicinity. I even spot another meteor a while later. It's an electrifying start to the run.

Despite all my excitement about the sky, no one seems particularly motivated about doing 800-meter repeats in this frigid weather. Me, least of all; I'm not feeling all that well today. But after the much-needed warmup and drills, some of the folks take off to begin their speedwork regimen. I reluctantly follow.

I had suggested doing seven of the repeats today, getting us 70% of the way toward a full Yasso workout. I quickly realize that even that is not going to happen for me today. The reasons? 1) I'm running much slower than I ought to be, and 2) I'm much too tired to get anywhere near 10, 7, or any other decent number of them.

Five relatively slow 800s will do it for today. I'll call it a slow, half-Yasso. It could have been much worse. Anything more than zero is better than nothing. 


No comments: