Saturday, September 28, 2024

2024 Akron Marathon Race Report

It's hard! Really hard!! Of course, I'm talking about the 2024 Akron Marathon. What did you think I meant?

Besides that overall hardness, there are hills, humidity, a fair amount of heat, and heavy legs to contend with. Then you need to add a healthy dose of humility to all that. Now, you're getting the picture.

Three weeks ago, I ran the Erie Marathon, and I (somehow) exceeded expectations. I decided to keep expectations low today, given the hills and expected humidity. I would stay with the four-hour pace group much longer this time, and only go faster in the last couple of miles, if possible. Two years ago, I also ran both of these races, and that time, Akron had the better weather and the better race result. Today, I'd settle for a simple 3:59 again,

I managed to stay near the four-hour pace group through half-way (in around 1:58) until the famous hills of Sand Run. That's when those horrendous hills took their toll on me. I just could not stay with the group, no matter how hard I tried. Even up to mile 20 (in about 3:03), I still thought I had a chance for a sub-4. But then there were still more hills. And that humidity refused to let up. Not to mention the humility.

My finish time was a disappointing 4:04. At least I won my ancient age group. As always, I can say that although it was a tough day, the Akron Marathon organizers did a wonderful job, as they always do. And it was great to see all of my friends out there. You just can't beat camaraderie like that.


After the finish - Julie Boggs, Shannon Barnes, Theresa Wright, Dan Horvath, Sharon Sibilski





No comments: