Sunday, September 27, 2026

Random acts of stupidity

Although I’ve already posted my initial report, here are some further thoughts on yesterday’s Akron Marathon.
First, there were many random acts of kindness. When I crashed at mile 26, I stopped dead in my tracks and screamed out in pain. There were only a few spectators around, and not too many other runners going by. The three cops showed up almost instantly to try to help. They were kind and considerate, but I told them I was okay because I didn’t want to wind up in an ambulance. It was a lie, but there you have it. The woman who rubbed my leg was wonderful. She had come out of nowhere and seemed to know just what to do. It felt good, but when I tried to resume running, I didn’t get far before the sharp pain also resumed. Before Julie Boggs came by, another runner stopped to try to help me. I may have been able to hang onto his shoulder and finish, but I didn’t want to slow him down, so I said no thanks. It was Julie and the Salt Sticks that truly did the trick. A miracle, for sure. These folks were all great, and I want to reiterate how much I appreciate the kindness. It often happens when we are in need of it most.
I think the guy who stopped to try to help me run in was Scott McKanna. I had seen him during the race, but had gotten ahead of him. Until my mishap. He wound up winning our selfsame ancient age group, finishing a minute and forty seconds in front of me. Maybe I should have allowed him to carry me across the line such that my bib registered ahead of his.
Now for the random acts of stupidity. Mostly, it’s the thought that I had a chance to break four hours. I had started conservatively, and I still thought it possible at halfway, which was 2:01 for me. But the second half of a marathon is a long way, and at Akron, it’s where the uphills take their toll. The final two miles are downhill, and although by that point, four hours was impossible, I still picked the pace back up and felt good doing it. Until I didn’t. In retrospect, I just wasn’t as fit as I needed to be to have such a goal.
The thing is, I’ve been at this long enough to know when I’m fit. And when I’m not. All the caffeine and gels weren’t enough. But some Salt Sticks would have helped prevent the worst from happening.
I’ll get over this. Really. Next up is the Veterans Marathon on November 1. I’m hopeful about that one.

No comments: