Sunday, September 13, 2026

River Run Half-Marathon Race Report

Let’s start with the excuses:

1) It was hot and very humid.
2) I got back to Cleveland from the Stone Age (in hurricane-ravaged Kauai) only 23 hours ago. Still feeling the jet lag.
3) I ran a hot un-marathon only a week ago. Still feeling that as well.
4) I’m old, fat, bald, ugly, and slow. But you knew that.


There are probably a few others, but you get the picture. Before the run, I talk with my grandnieces and grandnephews. I also see my friend Larry Orwin. It’s all tons of fun. Until the gun goes off.
The River Run is point-to-point on the Cleveland Metroparks Parkway from Berea to Rocky River. It’s slightly downhill, and the road curves back and forth a whole lot. It’s very scenic with lots of trees and views of nearby Rocky River. This is Cleveland running at its finest. 
My first mile is a little under nine minutes, and it nearly kills me. But if I can only keep this up, I think, I’ll have an acceptable, decent day.


Alas, I can’t. Mile 1 turns out to be the fastest mile of the day. I never lose my marbles completely, but I just can’t seem to hold a decent pace. Despite my best efforts, I can’t even break the two-hour barrier today. My finish time is 2:02:51, my slowest in several years. I suppose you could say that I deserved it. I’m second in my age group, missing first by three minutes.
Now, I had better get in shape for the Akron Marathon. It’s only two weeks away, and I’m afraid. Very afraid.

No comments: