Thursday, June 29, 2023

Air? You want air? I'll give you air

I believe that quote, "Air? You want air? I'll give you air." came from the movie, Public Enemy, but I originally thought it was White Heat. Of course, I knew for sure that the words were spoken by James Cagney. This post will be about air, not James Cagney or his movies. Except for one thing: I'll let you know about the next thing that happens. The next thing that happens is, according to Alec Baldwin (who was imitating Cagney at the time), "Boom-boom-boom - he shoots him (the guy who had originally asked for air because he was locked in a trunk) right through the trunk of the car." It's such an iconic scene, yet I can't find it on Youtube.

Back to air. I am also having trouble finding air.

Northeast Ohio had some of the poorest quality air on the planet yesterday according to airnow. The smoke from Canadian wildfires seemed to roll in just after the usual morning run. The run itself seemed hazy though fine, but during the ride home, I noticed the anemic sun trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to rise amid the haze, fog, and smoke.  I believe that the Air Quality Index (AQI) in parts of our very own Medina County reached above 300, considered the Hazardous zone. That's nearly as bad as air can get, according to airnow. I stayed indoors for most of the rest of the day.

This morning the AQI was merely in the Unhealthy Zone. To me, it's still awful enough to cancel my role in today's planned group run at Mugrage County Park. I'm not sure whether anyone else managed to run outdoors. Me? I hit the mill.

The movie du jour was From Here to Eternity, yet another oldie but goodie. The mill run went okay. Until it didn't. After thirteen-plus miles, I got tired. So, in true Forest Gump fashion, I stopped running. It's too bad. I had been starting to have thoughts of making it a long run. 

To paraphrase another quote, "There will be days when you are able to do a long run. Today is not that day."



No comments: