Monday, April 01, 2024

Running from Sydney to Papeete

Yes it would be a little tough to run all that way, especially since there's an ocean in the middle, but I do manage to run on the cruise ship that's making such a journey. Here are some of the tales.


Sydney

We're staying an extra day here before embarking on the cruise journey. So I get to spend a couple hours enjoying the city by foot. I begin by heading over to White Bay Cruise Terminal to view the Oceania Regatta, the ship we will be traveling on. It's just a couple miles, including a run across the ANZAC Bridge. Naturally, I get lost coming back, but it would be tough to come up with a better place to be lost in than Sydney. It's wonderful.


Running along Darling Harbor


At the ANZAC Bridge

Eventually, I get back to the Darling Harbor area, close to the hotel. Then, I continue to the North and explore Barangaroo Park, where I hear the unmistakable call of a kookaburra. 


On Board the Good Ship Oceania Regatta

Run around in circles on deck. Get tired so try the treadmill for a while. Get tired of that, so run some more circles outside. Rinse, repeat.


Napier, New Zealand

After three consecutive sea days, it's nice to see land again. Lady Adventurer and I take a walk through town, then I go out later on for my run. After an early-morning run, followed by brekkie, followed by our walk, followed by a short nap, this short shuffle is not Dan running at his best. But it's not quite nothing.


On Board the Good Ship Oceania Regatta

Run around in circles on deck. Get tired so try the treadmill for a while. Get tired of that, so run some more circles outside. Rinse, repeat. Eventually, I graduate away from the mill and more onboard. It's nicer to watch the sunrises and entry into ports. I do manage to get one final land/in-port jog/walk - in Papeete on the island of Tahiti as we're awaiting transfer to the airport.

Tahiti

Surprisingly, I do manage to get my overall mileage in. Even for tempo runs and (barely) for long runs. The only day I miss is the day we leave. I'm reasonably happy with that. Too bad about all those extra pounds though.

No comments: