Sunday, July 26, 2026

Furious but Foolish Fartlek

Sometimes things don't turn out quite as expected. And that just might be okay.

Failure to plan is a plan to fail. I do not want to fail today, but I do have a backup plan. Working backwards, I need to be at Pine Hollow at 8:15 to see my friends go by in the Burning River Marathon. This means being done with my long (18-mile) run on the Towpath in Peninsula at 8:00 sharp. Since I want this to be a long run, I have to start at 5:00 and maintain a 10-minute pace or better if there are to be any stops. With that early start, I have to be well packed and ready to roll super-duper early.

I pull into the Lock 29 parking area at 4:59. Mine is the only car this early. I make a bathroom stop, so I'm already behind in my timing. I start my run, and I realize right away that I left my headlamp at home. You kind of need one when the Towpath Trail is as pitch-dark as it is now. Summer's long daylight hours are beginning to shorten, and I should have known that it won't be light for another hour. Oh well, I think. I used to run in total darkness in the days before I had a headlamp.

By the time I hit my first mile split, I know very well that this run will not go according to plan. I'm moving at walking pace, trying not to trip or wander into the weeds on the sides of the trail. Already, my plan for this to be a long run is out the window. I simply won't be able to finish in time. Now, I need to figure out what is possible.

Right away, I consider the facts: I have already done a long run this week and don't truly need another. And I already have enough miles for the week to make it up to 70, so long as I do at least 15 today. So guess my new goal. Yes, 15 it is.

But even 15 becomes a challenge as my pace, though improving, is still much too slow. And factor in a couple more pit stops. Will I even make my Plan B goal?

As it begins to get lighter, another aspect of this run creeps into my already rattled brain: I'm enjoying this. I don't get down to the Towpath enough. It's wonderful. I've got the trail, the river, the surrounding hills, and the quiet. All I hear are my own footfalls, and it's fantastic.

By the time it's lighter still, I'm reaching my turnaround point, Botzum Trailhead. At this point, there are other runners about. It turns out that this small section is part of the Burning River course, and I spot more and more activity. There's an aid station at the trailhead, and runners are coming and going. I don't think the BR Marathon comes through here, so these must be the 50 and 100-mile runners. I try to stay out of everyone's way as I loop around and head back up North. Also at this point, my pace finally improves to where I thought it should be: under ten minutes per mile.

At this point, with nearly eight to go, I have to maintain this pace in order to get done in time. But just to jazz it up a little more, I decide to make this a form fartlek run. That means running the first half of each mile at tempo pace, whilst concentrating on my running form. The second half is at an easier pace. Guess what? This works out. I'm cooking with gas now.

My run takes another unexpected turn as I get about halfway back and encounter more BR activity. It turns out that the area around Hunt Farm is also on the course. This time, the runners I see coming the other way include my BR Marathon friends. I say hi to several of them and I let them know that I will see them in a little while.

I complete my run on time, so even though the run didn't turn out as expected, I can still consider it a (semi) success.

Afterward, I cheer my friends on at Pine Hollow and at Kendall Lake. It's fun to spectate once in a while. But of course I'm a little jealous. 

Not enough to actually do a trail run, mind you.


The Peninsula Nite Club, aka Winking Lizard
It's in the middle of all the fun associated with BR and also my run today





No comments: