Thursday, July 30, 2026

Your people

During a past visit to Daughter Valerie's place in Chicago, she went for an early-morning run with me. As we emerged from the tunnel under Lake Shore Drive, she said, "Dad, now we're going to see... your people." She emphasized those last two words, and in the next few seconds, I found out why. There, along the lakeshore trail, were literally thousands of runners.

It wasn't totally unexpected; I've run along the lake there many times, before and after her statement. But the sheer enormity of it all still does not cease to amaze me.

And here's the other thing that amazes me. How come, when I run with my people like I did today, I am the slowest runner out there? I didn't pass one person. Not one. But how many passed me? Don't ask; I can't count that high.

But it's okay. It wasn't an 'A' run for me; I've already had a pretty good week. This was just a little jog to get out there in the early morning sunshine. Along with my people.


Just a few of my people

I found a quiet moment for this selfie


No comments: