Saturday, May 04, 2024

Medina Run4Fun Race Report

It's a 5K (not my best distance). It's in the evening (I am a morning person.). I've already had my run today. I ran long yesterday. I'm not feeling all that well anyway (for several reasons). Yes, you could say that I'm out of my comfort zone. Just jog it, I say to myself. You can make the distance. Maybe.

But this is a fun little 5K race. You can tell, because 'fun' is in the name. There is a track meet going on as I arrive. I watch some of the running there in the stadium. I then jog around and see lots of other kids coming and going. The lacrosse kids are preparing to take the field after the track meet and the kids' 800-meter run.

The 5K is mostly kids as well. I suppose that since the race benefits the schools, the parents who organize it entice their children to participate as well. I'm a little surprised that, besides Harold Dravenstott and Sharon Sibilski, I don't see more of my regular running friends. That's okay; they wouldn't want to see me run so poorly anyway. I know I sure don't.

I ran this race two years ago, and probably a few times before that. This feels about the same. I line up in back and start with Harold. We watch as Sharon starts a little faster and moves up ahead. HD and I run together for a while, but I pull ahead for the final mile or so. I guess we won't be having a race to the death today. The pace (9:00 to 9:15 per mile) is slower than I would have liked, but at least it's steady.

My time is 27:48 or so. I hope I can take a few minutes off that time as the season progresses. Maybe I can eliminate at least some of those excuses. And get back into my comfort zone.

Allow me to summarize my feelings a different way. I hate 5Ks. And I need to do more of them.

No comments: