Saturday, May 11, 2024

Seen on the run

"What IS that?"  I think I was the first to see it: a large bird in the middle of the Lester Rail Trail, right ahead of us. As we approached, it scooted off into the woods, never to be seen again. My working theory is that it was a wild turkey, since ostriches are far less common in these parts.

"Look!" I was the first to see this one as well: An owl up in a tree, looking down at us. I was too excited to explain it with any more words than that, but I did manage to point it out to my friends. "Is that the one that attacked your head," they asked? That incident was described in a 2016 blog post.

These sightings occurred during my long run for the week: a 19-miler. That will be the final one before next week's Cleveland Marathon. I (think/hope/pray) that I'll be ready.

Today's run will be around Chippewa Lake. But before driving down there, I went outside to look at the dark sky. There was supposed to be an Aurora Borealis show. And there was! There is a lot of light pollution in my corner of the planet, but I do believe I saw something: a faint curtain of light reaching up from the North.

Now, to top all this off, there's the possibility of spotting the Chippewa Lake Eagle. I'm not sure that that's his or her real name, but it's (I think) an appropriate one. A few weeks ago, during a run at Brunswick Lake, some of us saw an eagle in a tree overlooking that lake. That was pretty rare, but Julie Boggs got a good photo as proof. Too bad I have no such proof of the other sightings described above.


Eagle at Brunswick Lake


No comments: