Thursday, May 02, 2024

Something Wonderful

I am nearly ten miles into my planned twenty-miler. It's taken me two full hours to get this far, and any hopes of having a good, solid long run seem to be out the window. I had started slowly and I've done nothing but get even slower. The only idea I've been able to come up with is to head over to Brunswick Lake and do multiple one-mile lake loops. To get there, I'm headed around and in back of Brunswick High School. I glance over at the track, and it's open. Let me repeat that. It's OPEN!

This almost never happens. They keep the track closed up tighter than the Pentagon. I haven't been able to run here in about a year. It's often frustrating, but then, I'm so much more full of joy when things do actually work out here. I wrote a post about all this back in 2015. Probably some other ones too. Now, I will be able to run most of my remaining miles here today.

And I do. And the pace improves. And my demeanor improves as well. I go from 12-minute miles to 9:40 and better ones. Each mile gets faster from 11 through 17 when it's time to run the three miles back home. Even those miles aren't bad, and mile 20, my last, turns out to be the fastest mile of the day.

You've heard it here before: all's well that ends well. It's true again today.

No comments: