Saturday, September 10, 2011

What If the Best Runners Came, and Nobody Cared?

The title applies to the IAAF World Championships that I wrote about in my last post, I Don't Get It. There, the best track and field runners in the world showed up, and no one seemed to care.

The title also applies to the NorthCoast 24-Hour Endurance Run. This one's my baby, and it's only a week away. And since it's the USATF National Championship, the best ultrarunners in the country show up to compete, and once again, no one seems to care.

Oh, some do. Virtually all of the participants, volunteers, families and organizing committee care very much. But where is the media coverage? Why doesn't the city come out and support the race? A National Championship event coming to Cleveland? Why isn't the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission at the forefront of promoting and garnering support for the run? Why isn't the Plain Dealer covering it?

You got me.

1 comment:

Glenn said...

Great post Dan! I can commiserate with the planter problem. Suffering the same planter issue back in July 2010 with a regime of ice/rest therapy this hasn't been as much of a problem as lack of miles ie. training/speedwork since I took on the mantra that training is over over-rated. I've been accepting the notion of being a has been/was were. I guess it's time to get off my duff and train for Scissors. See you on the trail.