Monday, December 31, 2012

I'm Mad as Hell, and I'm not Going to Take This Anymore!

The subject line comes from one of my all-time favorite movie scenes, that occurs in the movie, Network. If you haven't seen it, or even if you have, you should definitely take a look.


You may possibly be wondering why I'm mad as hell, and what I'm not going to take anymore. Okay, gotta come out with it. It's injuries. 

I am well aware that no one likes to read about injuries, and believe it or not, I don't like to write about them. Of course the worst of all is actually having an injury. So I will keep the actual injury details brief...

This time it's the old left knee. It hurt a little after a Thanksgiving Day training run on the Buckeye Woods course, and then much more during the BW50K itself (although I still managed to get through it). It wasn't too bad during the two weeks in Hawaii, but then got much worse during my first morning run upon my return.

I have been babying myself since then. Most runs have been on the mill, and speed and mileage are both way down. That's helped; the pain has mostly subsided. But it's not completely gone, and I'm scared to death that it may return.

Pain and suffering take the fun out of running. The only thing I fear more than pain is getting more out of shape than I am now.

That is why I have declared this the last injury. 2012 has indeed been the year of the injury for me, and good riddance to that. That's why I too am mad as hell, and that's what I am not going to take anymore!

The only question is how. I'll let you know when I figure that out.

3 comments:

Barefoot Johnny O said...

Dan, it's time to ditch the shoes! My sister gave me Ken Bob's "Running Barefoot, Step By Step." Get it.

Dan Horvath said...

I can buy into the minimalist thing to an extent. And I can see losing the shoes for an occasional easy/short run on grass. But totally bare? All the time? Me?? I don't think so.

Barefoot Johnny O said...

I run in aqua socks when the snow is more than an inch or if the snow on the trail is not packed.

Dan, I am not "special." Anything I do can, and has, been done by others.

I thought you were going to forgo injury this year? I have been running injury free for three years. That's what barefooting will do for you.

Jump in with both feet, naked.