Saturday, January 25, 2020

Thirty-Nine and Rain

We know what you're thinking: Thirty-Nine and Rain are two words that don't belong in the same sentence together. Or maybe you're thinking that it's not two words, it's three. No, four. But if you're like me, you're brain-dead, and not thinking much at all. Even if your brain is out of commission, however, you do still know, deep in your bones, that Thirty-Nine and Rain is an abomination.

Abomination or not, I find myself driving down to Medina in the driving, cold rain. The Medina Half-Marathon course run - something we do about once a month - is at 7:30, but needing a long run, I am planning to arrive at 6:00 for the extras. Except when I experience the Thirty-Nine and Rain. That's when, five minutes into my drive, I turn around and go home.

I run six lousy miles on the mill, turn on the tv weather to learn that the rain is moving out, extract myself from the mill and the house, and make the drive.

The rain has indeed stopped, as I run the course with Rachel Daw, Kelly Parker, Michelle Daum, Tim Pepe, and a few others. Thirty-Nine and no rain is exceedingly much better than Thirty-Nine and Rain. We manage to not get lost (a challenge for some of us), and complete the run.

It turns out to be a pretty good day, after all.

No comments: