Friday, March 18, 2022

Gas Prices

Gas prices can jump higher by $0.30 in an hour. Then, over days and weeks, slowly come down, penny by penny. Until they don't. That is, until the next thirty-cent increase. And that's the way it goes with my weight these days as well. The huge increases are often due to a slovenly vacation or something else like my surgery. The excruciatingly slow decreases are due to hard work in the running department, along with a careful watch over intake.

And now, let's discuss how said running is going lately. Been home for a couple weeks now. After the gradual but real improvement in Florida (which followed the fitness setback from an earlier cruise), I suffered a slight setback again during the trip home and then over the following few days. But then, the upswing got going once again, and things have been looking better. I'm running fairly well, and the weight is coming back down. Slowly. The best part is that my volume has increased such that I'm up close to 50 miles per week.

All that said. yesterday's run was a stinker. I have always figured that stinkers can come along anytime. I try not to become distressed over them. I just try to figure them into the mix. When you're due for one, it's gonna happen, no matter what. But of course, it's best to manage such things by building easy and off days into the schedule.

Yesterday should have been easy or off since I'd been putting in the miles and hard runs earlier in the week. But no, there I was, trying to run my 11-mile new subs course on very little rest or caloric energy. And guess what? I bonked. It's not nice to (try to) fool Mother Nature. Unfortunately, the bonk occurred at mile four, so I still had seven miles to struggle through. And struggle I did. I was happy to make it home; at least I didn't quit altogether.

Today's run on Lester Rail Trail with Michelle Wolff went better. Much better. It's always better to run with friends. Hey, I'll have to remember that.

No comments: