Sunday, February 09, 2014

9:34, 8:22, 8:10, 8:05, 7:58, 7:50, 7:40, 8:13, 9:05, 9:00, 12:00, 13:42

Yes, those were my splits from yesterday's run. I was with friends Dave Gajewski, Chris and Larry Orwin, Kevin Jones and Chris' friend Colin (I don't know his last name). They tell a bit of a story. The crash and burn occurred suddenly, as usual, just as we made the turn onto the parkway with a couple miles to go. Larry very graciously stayed with me as we walked and jogged our way in.

I've mentioned this knee thing before. Now, unfortunately, I am afraid I have to mention it again. Sorry about this.

It was near 0F, and I was working pretty hard to keep up with the fast kids. We were lucky that there was no wind, and only a small amount of snow and ice on the roads. As we drove up the hill on Barr Road, the 'ole knee began to talk to me. Ease up, or else, it said.

I did listen. Larry and I went from eight minute miles to nine minute ones. But as we made that turn, I learned quite suddenly how inadequate my slowdown had been.

Dad-gum it. It had been a couple weeks since I'd had any pain at all. Except for my perpetual PF, I was beginning to think that I was going to be okay,

Okay, bear with me a while longer. Here are for my sudden knee blowout common denominators.

1) It's always cold. Often extremely so, like yesterday.
2) I'm always pushing the pace, at least somewhat faster than I would be otherwise.
3) It's always at the far end of a long run, or a long couple of runs.
3) It's almost always when I least expect it.

Okay, I'm done. For now.

No comments: