Sunday, November 26, 2017

Buckeye Woods 50K, November 26, 2017

At the start
The Buckeye Woods 50K (BW50K) is known as a Fat Ass run. Fat Ass runs are usually held around the holidays in order to provide ultra runners a way to burn off some of the extra weight they've been putting on. They don't have to be 50K (there's a 25K option at Buckeye Woods), but they're often 50 of something. I know there are some 50-mile ones, and there could conceivably be others of 50 feet or 50 parsecs. But 50 kilometers is probably the most common.

A couple other things about Fat Ass runs: they are friendly and easy-going; lack of support is typical (runners usually have to support themselves), and most importantly, there is usually no fee. In fact, the motto for all Fat Ass runs is, 'No Fees, No Awards, No Aid, No Wimps'.

That said, BW50K now has awards (Alyssa Osborne makes beach-glass necklaces for finishers), and there is even some limited support, this year by our Great Race Directors Harold Dravenstott and Michelle Wolff.

And the lack of fees? BW50K is one of the truly great benefits of membership in the Medina County Road Runners club; you do have to be a member in order to run, but it's otherwise completely free. What a bargain. The friendliness and easy-going-ness are a huge part of the bargain as well.

I absolutely love this race. So much so, that I've done each one since its inception in 2010. Maybe I'll even get good at it one of these years. But probably not.

Perhaps it wasn't really all that bad this time around. Maybe I'm being a little tough on myself. Many runners would be happy with my time and my overall place today. Conceivably, I could be very happy with today's run... Nah.

What exactly was my time and place today, you ask? Although I ran alone most of the day (no one seemed to run my pace - most were either faster or slower), it was still good to see everyone coming and going. And to come 'home' at the end of each 5-mile loop was wonderful.

Going in, I'd thought that I ought to be able to run faster than six hours, perhaps even five and a half. A sub-five hour run would be hitting it out of the park for me this day. But for a while, sub-five actually seemed like a possibility. But then the miles began to take their terrible toll, and my lap times began to slow little by little.

My laps. the first one includes an extra mile


My overall time was 5:11:28. This was good for second place overall. If some fast guy (his name is Frank Dwyer) hadn't showed up, I may, just may, have placed better than second. I should mention that there were a lot of excellent runners out there today, but lots of them chose to call it quits at 25K.

Okay, it was great fun. Did I mention that I love this race?

Oh, just one more thing. Here's my BW50K history. The unlabeled column is my age. As I said, maybe I'll get good at it one of these years.


2 comments:

Harold said...

Holy crap, you're 64. Who knew.
Congrats on a great run today.

Dan Horvath said...

Thank you, Mr. Harold. And thanks for being a great RD!!