Saturday, December 23, 2017

Sweet Misery. Except it wasn't so sweet.

You've heard this here before. Some of my most joyous runs occur when the weather is at its worst. The converse/implication (that running in lousy weather always leads to enjoyable jogs), isn't necessarily true, however. Today's running was... well, you'll see.

It was a case in point. When I saw the cold rain, I ditched my running friends in order to stay closer to home. I thought I'd get it done with quicker and easier this way. Not so fast, said the weather and running gods. The cold rain (you know how I hate cold rain) soaked me to the bone. That's when I began to freeze up; cold and wet is just no good in my book.

The thing was that I had to get a long run in. Why did I "have" to, you ask? That's easy. It's because the Landis Loonies Marathon is only a week away, on New Years Day. But even with this "need", I still couldn't handle the cold and wetness anymore.

What to do? Wimp out and finish the run on the mill, of course. After about 10 months without so much as stepping on a treadmill, I've now succumbed to the temptation a few times. The weather is my only excuse. I only hope this mill running doesn't lead to a relapse of my painful Achilles Tendonitis, which has been under control, but which I also believe may have been exacerbated by mill running. But so far, so good.

I did complete a long run - 6 outside and 16 inside. But the whole thing was sweet misery. With no sweetness.

No comments: