Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 By the Numbers

Weekly Running Totals


Yes, there were some numbers in 2017. Not all of them were completely bad. Some, on the other had, were pretty darn shameful. But like them or not, they did occur, and that's just the way it is.

I am, and I always have been, a numbers guy. I analyze, count, measure and estimate stuff for a living, and I consider myself lucky to be doing these things that I enjoy. It's not too much of a stretch to understand how I might apply my enumeration habit to my running habit.

What are those numbers, you ask? I'm happy you inquired.

Totals for the year, from my Garmin data



















































2906.82: Arguably the most important number; it's the mileage total for the year, and the most since 2012.
5.7 (or 10.53): My average speed in miles per hour, or, for the 10.53, my average pace per mile. This is in the not so good category. Just when I thought I couldn't get any slower since last year's numbers, this happens.
4,658,226: The number of running steps I took for the year. I don't know whether this is good or bad, but I like big numbers, so there it is.
2: The number of marathons I ran in 2017. I wasn't too unhappy with the times, especially Erie at 3:43.
4: The number of ultramarathons I ran in 2017. These were so-so. The two 50Ks were 5:14 and 5:11, and Mugrage Park was 33.71 miles, and I ran the Burning River 50-mile race in 11 hours, 10 minutes. Also, I finished second overall at two of them.
1: Age Group Win. I actually thought I'd get more, considering some decent performances at a couple half-marathons, as well as the marathons mentioned above. This win was at Burning River, where I was happy to just finish alive.
97,345.4: My life-to-date mileage total. Hoping for that sixth digit. Think I'll make it?



Life to date miles, year by year

No comments: