Friday, September 20, 2019

Bonk

A bonk, by my definition, is an unexpected depletion of energy during a run. My perspective is that it is caused by a lack of nutrition and possibly hydration as well.

It's what happened to me today. Since returning home, I've been trying to get back into the swing of things, and I've sort of done so. Had some pretty darned good runs, and I've been fairly consistent and steady. Maybe the continuity of such running through today's planned long run was too much to ask.

Having had my Cape Breton Fiddlers Marathon canceled because of Hurricane Dorian threw me for a loop. Getting back in the saddle right away was a good thing. In the process, I also signed up for next Saturday's Akron Marathon. It wouldn't be an 'A' race for me, so I wanted to run an easy long one today - maybe 18 miles in about three hours. Piece of cake, no?

No. After about ten easy miles, half of them at the track, the wheels fell off. I barely made it home and only did 15 miles in those three hours.

Maybe I can make it up tomorrow. Or not.

No comments: