Sunday, September 15, 2019

Running in Nova Scotia (and environs)

Our plans changed due to Hurricane Dorian. Instead of spending eight nights in Nova Scotia, we started our trip in Quebec City, drove to Moncton, New Brunswick, and then finally made our way to Cheticamp, Nova Scotia. My plans for a fall marathon blew away with the Dorian winds as well. The race was canceled. That’s just as well; I couldn’t have gotten there anyway. My refund is in the mail.

We loved Quebec City, and although it wasn’t in the scenic old town area, my run was wonderful as well. There were all-purpose trails galore. I got lost for a while, but then figured them all out as it got lighter and I found the Walmart to use as orientation. After many slow miles, I picked it up nicely for the last three of the eleven. It helped that a) I could see now that it was light, b) I finally knew where I was, and c) they were downhill.

Not much shakin’ in Moncton, New Brunswick. It was all freeways and such.

My first run in Cheticamp was memorable. I ran over and onto the island and back for 8 ½ miles total. A bald eagle flew right over my head. My other runs in the area were nice as well. When I got up into the hills, the scenery looking back down at the town was sublime. And a longish run over to the national park and back was fine as well.

My second run in Dartmouth, which is a suburb of Halifax, went well. I ran around the Dartmouth Crossing shopping complex a few times, and then I found a Great Trail. Actually, not ‘a’ Great Trail; it was labeled as ‘the’ Great Trail. And it was truly a very nice trail. I would only be a little more careful with the superlatives. The trails seem to go a long way, but I never got real far from my trail-head in Shubie Park. Of course, I was singing, ‘shubie-doobie-do’ the whole time.

My third run in Dartmouth would also be my last for the trip. I once again ran around the shopping area, this time making bigger (3-mile-ish) loops. But after a nice, although slow, ten, I decided that I’d have to finish on the mill in order to be done on time. I managed to get eighteen in altogether.

Not a bad week. At least for being on vacation.

No comments: