Wednesday, December 25, 2019

24 on the 25th


The sky is pink and orange and blue. The beauty of it is fairly distracting, and distraction is what I need right about now. I'm starting my fourth six-mile out-n-back lap on the Lester Rail Trail, and my friends Michelle and Andy Wolff, having joined me for lap 3, are on their way home. I'm a little tired at the moment because:

1) I started running a bit before four, and it's now around seven-twenty
2) 24 miles is a fur piece - much longer than I've run for quite some time
3) I have been running a lot lately, and it's possible (nay, probable) that all the mileage (18 and 11 over the weekend, and 10 yesterday) is taking its terrible toll
4) I'm sure there are a bunch of other reasons, but my rattled brain can't think of them right now

With this morning light, I can now see where I'm going, Not that sight is so very important on a course where you just run back or forth. The trees are all decorated with heavy frost, and their white tint seems appropriate for this Christmas Day run. So do the patches of ice and crunchy snow along the way. Those did surprise me though; besides yesterday's frozen fog, we've had several other warm days. I decide not to think too hard about this.

Yes, it's Christmas. What better way to celebrate than to do this 24-miler? And hey, I've got the Brunswick Marathon coming up in a week, and I've got to be able to run that far.

But now I'm going slower and slower. With just a couple left to go, my shuffle turns into and ultra-slow shuffle. And then I slow down some more.

That's okay. I do manage to shuffle on back to the car, and then I'm done. Done done.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: