Friday, December 13, 2019

My week of ~Running~ if you can call it that


This will be in backward order in an attempt to make it feel better. Maybe we’ll even have a not-unhappy ending.

Sunday: It’s the Buckeye Woods 25K/50K, and I have to go for it. Due to travel constraints, going for it today means starting early, getting two five-mile loops done, then doing one more with the main group as they begin their own journey at 7:30 AM. For the math-challenged, that, along with the extra mile, only adds up to 25K. This is my first departure from the 50K distance at this race (I’ve done nine straight, plus a summer one), but starting the run at 3 instead of 5 just didn’t appeal. Another thing that didn’t appeal was the weather: 37F and rain; not my favorite conditions. But I make it (in poor fashion), and I believe the RDs will give me credit for that. It helps to know people.

Saturday: My friends Rita Cognion and George Ziga are in town, so Joe Salwan and I meet them in Peninsula for a nice little run on the towpath. It is good to catch up with them. And it’s always nice to run in our lovely national park.

Friday: It’s Black Friday, and I have to work. I usually do work on this day to save vacation days. I am able to work from home, so it’s not so bad. Harold Dravenstott and Michelle Wolff are heading to Wooster to join in a group run they (Vertical Runner Wooster) call a Two-Hour Tryptophan Run. I start work at 3:30 AM, get a few hours in, then drive down to join the fun. And it truly is fun, as I run with Michelle, Harold, Debbie Horn and Michelle Daum. It’s as many 2-mile loops you can do in two hours, and then there are prizes based on that. I don’t get any prizes, but I’m glad I took part.

Thursday: It’s Turkey Day, time for a Turkey Trot. It’s been years since I’ve done one. This time it’s the Turkey Burner 5K in Hinckley. I follow Michelle Daum for the loop around the lake, and Harold D. follows me. I’m not extremely fast these days, but it feels good to move this un-slowly for a bit. And hey, I get a t-shirt and even an age group award medal.

Wednesday: I can’t get myself going at all. No run today.

Tuesday: I hit the track, meeting my co-worker and friend Colleen DeVito. We often meet at the track before work, but this may be one of the last times. On other occasions, I’ll often do some speedwork after running some with Colleen. Today I do not. I’m still tired from Sunday’s race.

Monday: I get a few miles in, but it’s not pretty. I’m still tired from Sunday’s race.

No comments: