Sunday, November 24, 2019

2019 Fall Classic Half Marathon and 5K

Always go before you go.

I usually do, and I sorta did this time. Except that it wasn't quite late enough. I was thinking about all the water and coffee in my belly and bladder as I was lined up at the start and began to run. I decided to remedy the situation by using the porta-john at about mile four. Forty seconds later, I was back on the run again, feeling more comfortable.

The goal was to beat the 1:51 I ran at Made in America, and also break the 1:50 "barrier." Running a half in the one-forties shouldn't be hard, should it?

The Fall Classic, in its 44th year, truly is one. I've done it a dozen or so times, and it never gets old. It's a double out-and-back loop in Cleveland Metroparks' Mill Stream Run Reservation. Today it was cool and sublime, even serene. It's also fun to see the other runners coming and going.

Coming through half-way at about 54 minutes and change, I knew I was cutting it close. No worries though, I'll just pick up the pace during the final miles, thought I.

By the time there were only a couple miles to go, I was indeed picking up the pace... I thought. Upon examination of the Garmin data, it now appears that I was only maintaining the 8:20-ish pace that I'd been doing all along. It only felt faster.

My finish time was 1:50:17 (or, if you prefer - as I do - 1:49:77), good for third in my ancient age group. It's okay in that it's faster than my previous half, but it's not in the 1:40s. I'm still trying to figure out who the other two old guys are.

And those extra forty seconds I mentioned? Don't even go there. Instead, go before you go.

No comments: