Sunday, November 03, 2019

2019 InFirst Bank Veteran's Marathon

It's 8:53 AM EDT and I amble out of the car where I'd been reading for a half-hour. I wait in line for the porta-potty, and by 8:56, I'm jogging over to the start. The start, you see, is at 9:00 AM, but since this is a small race, I didn't have to be there any earlier than this. I should also mention that the race cost me fifty bucks. I registered a little over a week ago, just before the price increase to sixty. Had I been earlier, I could have gotten in for twenty-six. These are some of the many reasons I love small races like this. Not to mention that they're friendlier and easier-going. I should also mention that I did have to drive three hours to get here in Black Lick, PA. In case you don't know where that is, it's close to Indiana, PA.

I loved this race last year, and I ran well here. 3:46 and change (a lot of change, by the way). Could I do it again?

The cannon goes off with a BOOM, and off I go. It's cool (about 40), but not as cold as forecast. The early miles go by easily. I'm running at about the same pace as last year. Will I be able to hold it?

The Ghost Town trail is just as scenic as it was last year. The race is out and back, and that's another simplicity thing that I like about it. I reach the half-way turn-around in 1:53. This is perfect. But last year I finished strong. Will I be able to once again?

Although the second-half has a slight downhill grade, the wind is now in my face. It's not awful, but it may be taking a bit of a toll. I find that I am now working harder to maintain that same pace. During the last couple of miles, I slow down just a tiny bit. It's not much, but it's enough to prevent me from exceeding last year's time. 

This year it's 3:48; just over a minute slower than last year. I'm happy with it. Why couldn't I finish just a little stronger? The answer is blowin' in the wind.




No comments: