Tuesday, October 29, 2019

This Morning at the Track

Editor's note: this is a guest post. Enjoy the 'different' perspective.


It happened at the Mayfield track. Creature of the morning that I am, I like to get moving in the early darkness at the start of the day. And this day, I had decided to make my way over to the track for a little exercise. Just as I was getting started, something big came around the curve, and was heading right at me! Imagine my surprise. It was in my lane; would it swerve out of my way, or should I move?

Within seconds, I realized that it was one of those large mammals they call ‘human beings.’ I’ve seen other ones here at the track, and I usually keep my distance. But this one was coming way too close. I quickly decided to raise my tail to try to warn it off. Maybe it would see the black and white fur, and realize that I am not without weaponry.

It didn’t work. It lumbered toward me still. Now I could see that this one had absolutely no fur on its head (how strange), and it was making an awful-looking, even scary face as it ran. It was also making scary grunting noises between the heavy breathing.

Should I spray or should I run? Even though it surely would have been fun to spray this thing, I decided that the risk of him falling over me would be too great.

Raising my tail as I went, I scurried out of the way.

Ducking under the fence as I left the track area, I vowed to get this guy with some spray next time. Fun awaits.

No comments: