Thursday, June 03, 2021

Short-Term Pain, Long-Term Gain

Remember the famous experiment where they tell the two-year-olds that they can have one marshmallow right away, or two if they wait five minutes? The ones that were willing to wait - to consider delayed gratification - evidently are willing to put up with some short-term pain (having to wait) for the long-term gain (getting two, rather than one marshmallow). Interestingly, the same kids that were willing to accept the delayed gratification were also more willing to do so for other aspects in later life and were therefore generally more successful. At the very least, they got more marshmallows.



The stitches on the back of my heel (the rest of my foot is there, just obscured)


Had I been a subject of this experiment, I would have been with the two-marshmallow group. In terms of my running, and use of my Achilles Tendon in general, my choice has been to accept the pain now with hopes of being pain-free later. The short-term pain - the operation and subsequent recovery, has been tough. Although the operation went well, I found myself in a whole lot of hurt once the "block" wore off.


Me and my scooter. The grandkids love it!


That pain did subside after a couple days, and I'm feeling better now. But the other "pain" thing is just getting around with the bandage-wrap and now the cast. And that has also been a real pain in the patoot. What's more, it looks like I will be non-weight-bearing for quite a while still. Thank goodness for the knee-scooter that Dave Koch lent me. It's so much better than the crutches. Even so, it's still tough (at least more than I thought) to do normal, everyday activities.

I believe the plan is to have me remain in a cast for three more weeks, at which point I will transfer to a boot. After that, I'll begin Physical Therapy and a slow transition to weight-bearing.


My new black cast. Ain't it cool?


That transition to the long-term gain can't come soon enough.

2 comments:

Zman said...

Dan, Wow, That is a lot of stitches. Looks like you are doing a good job of hanging in there. For my ankle I used crutches and found it nearly impossible to not put my weight on it and probably hurt me in the long run. Keep at it and follow Dr. instructions as you are and you will be at it again on the road hopefully pain free.

Dan Horvath said...

Thanks for the thought, Mike. See you Sunday.