Saturday, January 29, 2022

AT Surgery Status Update

 A friend asked how I was doing with regards to my Achilles Tendonitis Surgery and recovery. His friend is considering the procedure. I think my reply may be a good general status update for anyone who is interested.


My surgery was on May 27 (funny how I have no trouble with remembering that). It was with Dr. Mark Berkowitz of Cleveland Clinic. I would recommend him.

 

I’d suffered from Achilles Tendonitis for over 7 years. The pain was worse after hard running efforts and while driving (it’s my right foot). It was a calcium buildup at the base of my heel, so I think that’s the same as a bone spur. The procedure was to cut the calcium and even a little bit into the bone to reshape it. I was told to only go for it if I was truly desperate because the recovery is so long and difficult and requires a lot of PT. The usual recovery would be 9-12 months.

 

It’s now 8 months, and I’ve resumed running since November. The pain is completely gone, but despite the PT I still don’t have the strength I once had in that area. Of course, I gained weight and of course, I’m running very slowly with much fewer miles.

 

But I am pretty sure I’m glad I did it.

No comments: