Monday, January 03, 2022

Ice-Eight and a Half

 

I've written about Ice-Nine before. I was gonna do it again, but it's easier (for you and me) to just reference it here. It's a little bit of fun. I mention Ice-Nine again because I thought about it as I encountered ice during this morning's run. I don't like ice, but I don't like not running, either.

As I step out, ice isn't the first thing I notice. The first thing I notice is the cold wind. It's bracing. Then, I notice the ice when I take another step towards the driveway. It's fairly thin - more like what you'd call black ice - but there's enough to give me pause. Do I really want to risk falling during my run this morning? 

Maybe the street will be better, I think. After what seems like a long, slow, careful walk down the driveway, I discover that the street is indeed somewhat dryer. Maybe I can get my run in, after all. The wind is from the North, and that's my initial direction. It's been a while since I've run on such a cold morning.

I encounter some other slippery areas. I avoid them as much as possible. 

It wasn't pretty, and I didn't get very far. But at least I got a run done. And I managed, moreover, to remain vertical. That's a critical success factor for most of my running these days.



No comments: