Saturday, August 13, 2022

Akron Goodyear Half-Marathon Race Report

I am usually pretty even-tempered about my running, and I also don't generally like to brag, but just let me say one thing: Yipeeee!

The Akron Goodyear Half-Marathon Race was a keeper, for all the best reasons:

  • Great organization for a fairly big race.
  • A Swenson's burger and two (2) beers at the finish.
  • Great company (my friends, Theresa Wright and Julie Boggs traveled with me).
  • Absolutely perfect running weather.
  • A blimp.

Julie, Theresa, and Dan before the start. Oh yeah, and the Blimp too

With the blimp overhead nearly the entire race, I managed to keep my pace fairly steady at around nine minutes per mile. After the nifty start at the Goodyear Proving Grounds, Julie and Theresa pulled ahead, and I settled into my groove. Just like last week's race, I had some trouble in the middle miles (mostly due to the slightly rolling hills) but then found my mojo again for the last few. That downhill finish helped. 

My time was 1:58:28, good once again for second in my ancient age group. Yet another 65-year-old kid beat me once again. Oh well. This run felt way better than last week's brain-baker. I will take it. Gladly.

No comments: