Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Distant Thunder

The sky is clear (I had just pointed to Betelgeuse for those who wanted to see him), yet we can still see intermittent flashing lights near the horizon. It is lightning from a faraway storm, perhaps over Lake Erie. There really isn't any thunder to be heard, but for some reason, I like the post title Distant Thunder better than Distant Lightning.

What's the occasion, you ask? Why it's none other than our usual 5:00 AM Wednesday run at Lake Medina. We've been pretty consistent about these mid-week jogs, and consistency is vital for running success... I think.

For this particular Wednesday run, we have a slightly larger than usual gaggle of runners. There's Andy and Michelle Wolff, who (to no one's surprise) somehow managed to start even earlier than the rest of us. We have Debbie Hicks and Mallory Bergstresser, educators just beginning their new school year. Harold Dravenstott is here to discuss his upcoming work day along with yesterday's speedwork session. And then there is the surprise visit from Michelle Kelly-Daum, who is training for an ultra, yet has to finish fast to get home to get her kids off to their first days of school.

Back and forth we go, doing the lower and the upper trails near the lake. It's a great morning for a run. Yet it's difficult for me; yesterday's Yasso 800 workout is still in my legs. I think the same is true for a few of my companions, especially Michelle Wolff. As we keep returning to the trailhead, we keep losing folks. Eventually, it is just Michelle Kelly-Daum and me running the final few miles. 

We finish as it's getting light. My watch tells me that I've completed the planned ten miles. That should get me through. Until tomorrow.



No comments: