Thursday, September 28, 2023

Today's run with my friends, by Eleanor Sunday

Editor's Note: This is a guest contribution by a very special friend.

Chadwick and me (I don't know what he's trying to prove here. We should be running.)

Hello! My given name is Eleanor (I was named after Eleanor Roosevelt) but my friends call me Ella. Everyone whom I have ever met in my entire life is my friend, so you too should feel free to call me Ella. Even if you haven't met me... yet.

Stephanie primped me all up last night like she usually does. I like it when she does that. I like to look pretty when I'm going for a run. It's still early as Chadwick gets his shoes on and begins to open the door to his Mini Cooper. I have this timed just perfectly. I start my leap into the car even before the door is completely open. Today, it's another perfect four-point landing onto the passenger seat.

At first, I don't know where we're headed, but I soon realize with delight that it's Lake Medina! I like Lake Medina! Of course, it's the same with the Lester Rail Trail, the Medina Square, and everywhere else Chadwick brings me. I like them all!

As Chadwick opens the door, I jump out, ecstatic to see our running friends. They're all right here! And we will all be running together! What could be better than this? I try to jump-hug some of them (Chadwick pulls me back so that I don't knock them over), and for others, I just hug them by rubbing up against their legs. Yes, I know, I know. I run with these guys almost every day. But I have to ask again: what could be better than this? I greet Katherine and Harold and Shannon and Debbie and Dan and Kelly, and Athena and the rest of them. I love them all! And we're all going to run together! (Oh yeah. I said that already. Sorry.)

As we begin running, I can tell that Chadwick isn't too sure about which way to go; he never is. But I know the way; he should just let me lead. Chadwick sometimes does a run without me. I understand that he occasionally goes to some places where I cannot. But those are sad days for me. Not happy days like this one! Of course, I wonder how Chadwick can possibly find his way anywhere without me to guide him. Dan lets Chadwick know the direction by pointing it out to me. Yeah, if Chadwick would only listen and pay attention more often. I suppose it doesn't matter; I love him anyway. (Editor's Note: Ella probably added this paragraph just to illustrate the fact that Chadwick is directionally challenged. It may or may not have actually occurred in this instance.)

We are on the trail, and I choose the right side. Chadwick had tried to get me over to the left, but today, right smells better. Dan suggests that Chadwick just move over to the right as well. Chadwick wisely does so. Everyone else is talking and running. I don't know what they're saying - probably some gossip about the ones who didn't show up today - but it doesn't matter. I'm running! With all my friends!!

Squirrel! I know that Chadwick has the harness around me (it works much better than a normal leash) so I need to pull hard and fast to chase the critter. Chadwick simply has to follow or else let go. He needs the extra little sprint now and then. It's the same for rabbits, by the way.

Now we're back to normal running with the group. I like it when we all run together. This is GREAT!

Puddle! It's on the opposite side of the trail, but I pull Chadwick over so I can run through it. That's what puddles are for! I like puddles! My tootsies thank me. Chadwick doesn't seem to mind that my paws will be full of wet mud when I climb back into the car. He's pretty good that way.

We run together some more. Shannon and Katherine think they're pretty fast, but I know I can out-sprint them. Today, we're just staying together. Dan is slowing down behind us. Poor guy. He can't help being old and slow.

Time to pee! Chadwick almost takes a tumble when I make this sudden stop. Sorry, buddy. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Eventually, we get back to the car. I hope, I hope, I hope... Yes! We are going to do it all a second time! This is Great!!

It's a little sad when we finish for good. Time to get home, rest, and get ready for tomorrow's run. I think that one will be great as well!


No comments: