Sunday, December 24, 2023

Frosty Five-Mile Race Report

This 5-mile race takes place in Hudson, Ohio, and it's huge. I suppose that's because, unlike Thanksgiving Day races, it's the only game in town. I expected to see lots of friends at the start, but hardly any could be found in the pre-start throng of people.

The crowd at the start and the hills certainly slowed many of us down for that first mile. That was a good thing. The second mile was downhill almost the whole way. So that was a fast one for me. I hit reality again during the third mile, and I tried hard to pick the pace back up for the final two.

During mile four, I still wasn't running as fast as I thought I ought. But the magic happened for mile five. Really - it was my fastest of the day.

My time was 40:14, an 8:03 pace. That's pretty good for me these days. It helped that the weather cooperated.

Afterward, I found a bunch of my friends, and it was fun to talk and compare notes. 

I learned that I was second in my ancient age group.

At the finish with Garrett Wright and his friend. We all won major awards.


No comments: