Tuesday, May 07, 2024

My dream/nightmare

Today's track workout was to be the one where we run ten 400s with 100-meter recoveries to add up to 5,000 meters, in total. It's a good gut check for the 5K distance - you're running the 400s at about your 5K speed, but you get breaks between each lap. Adding it all up today, I ran my 5K a minute and a half faster than I did for the Run 4 Fun. Sounds pretty good, eh?

It's fine. Except for one thing: I'm not training for a 5K; I'm training for a marathon. Yes, Cleveland is only a week and a half away. 

Ever have that familiar old dream/nightmare where you are in college and about to take a final exam but only now realize that you haven't attended class, studied, or even opened the book for the entire term? That about sums up my thoughts for this upcoming race. It's mostly because I haven't been doing Yassos. I never do not do Yassos. All of this was bouncing around my head during this morning's pre-workout panic attack.

How to empty my head of such negative thoughts? How about adding enough speedy laps such that the total adds up to the length of a Yasso Workout? That means five 800s at the tail end of the ten 400s. When everyone else was done and headed home. This time it worked. I did an early 800, followed by the ten 400s, followed by four more 800s. Sure enough, it was the same amount of speedy laps as if I'd just done Yassos.

No comments: