Sunday, June 16, 2024

2024 Lighthouse Half Marathon Race Report

151. Sounds like a fine (or at least strong) rum, eh? Well, it's also a strong run, at least for me. Why 151? It's about where I've been for my best half-marathons over the past couple of years. Yeah, sub-150 would be nice, but it's been a while since I've done that. Maybe again some day.

I drove up to Fairport Harbor with Chadwick Sunday and his Stepdaughter Natalie. Even though it's a fur piece, the commute seemed to go quickly with the ongoing fun conversation. I don't get up that way often enough, but when I do, the racing is usually pretty good. I've never done (or even heard of) this particular race before, but it seemed familiar. Fairport Harbor, with its great beach and city park / square is an excellent place to hold a race.

Two hundred some of us lined up on a pleasant Father's Day Sunday morning, and we were off. During the early miles, I tried in vain to catch up with the 1:55 pace group. I think I could have, but it would have wasted too much energy. It wasn't too long before I fell into a rhythm, and although I was still behind the pace group, I thought things were going pretty well. 

The race took us East, over to Painesville, where we did a big loop through lakeside neighborhoods and parks, and then back to Fairport Harbor. Halfway went by in 57 minutes. I caught up with that 1:55 group sometime around mile eight. Although I'd had 1:51 in the back of my mind as a stretch goal, I didn't want to push things too much too fast. I was indeed picking up my pace, but I'd need to finish much faster to beat that mark. Just to be conservative, I thought I should stay with the pace group for a while.

But I didn't. For some reason, I went right by them. My pace (now mostly in the 8:30's) had been getting a little faster with each mile, and theirs was pretty steady. I hit mile ten in 1:26:30. That's pretty good, but I'd need to run faster still for the final 5K, in order to reach my goal.

Somehow, I did run faster still. My final three miles were my fastest at 8:21, 8:18, and 8:07. The time on the clock as I crossed the finish line was 1:52:00. Dang! But I was pleasantly surprised that my official time based on my chip timing was 1:51:57! (The rum is strong with this one, Jedi Master.) I was also unpleasantly surprised to learn that I did not win my ancient age group; I was second to someone named Randy Barkacs. He's the guy who beat me at the Medina Half. I don't believe I've met him, but I'll have to do so sometime.

Regardless of my place, it was a pretty darn good Dad's Day for me. It always feels good to finish strong. Now, it's time for some rum.




No comments: