You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done
That's from Kenny Rogers' song, the Gambler. It applies to today's running most intensely at 7:00 AM, as I've stopped at home for a pit stop. I've run 6 1/2 miles, including some slow speedwork, but I wanted to also get my daily total up to double digits. Getting back out the door seems to be a problem, however. Why the hesitation, you ask? Because I'm tired, stupid.
The Gambler lyrics run through my brain. Despite my tired, old, sore body, back out I go. After some mighty effort as well as some slow slogging, I somehow manage to do another 3 1/2.
There are times when it's okay to allow yourself to fail. Not making it back out would have been a failure today. Other times, you ought to tough it out, like I did this time. The really hard part is deciding when to do which. Someday, maybe I'll be smart enough, or tough enough, to figure it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment