Registering for a race and considering buying insurance? Consider what happened to me when I filed a claim.
When I registered for the Kauai Marathon, I purchased the associated race registration insurance from a company called ViCoverage. The non-refundable Registration Fee was $315, the Service Fee was $19.78, and the insurance Fee was 23.68. The race was cancelled due to the approaching Hurricane Lowell, so I filed a claim with ViCoverage.
Seemed like a slam-dunk. I provided all the required documentation, including even more when they followed up with some requests via email. The claim was denied.
“We have carefully reviewed your claim for the cancellation of the 2026 Kauai Marathon and Half Marathon. The event was cancelled by the organiser on 5 September 2026 ahead of Hurricane Lowell, rather than being a case of you personally being unable to attend.
Your policy's weather coverage states:
"'Inclement weather' during the 'admission day(s)' for at least one (1) day which results in 'your' inability to attend or remain at the 'admission day(s)' location... If the 'admission day(s)' is cancelled due to weather, 'you' will not qualify for this coverage."
Because the event itself was cancelled by the organiser due to weather, rather than you being unable to attend an event that went ahead, this falls outside what the policy covers. This is the case regardless of the severe weather conditions involved or the fact that your registration fee is non-refundable.
We have also checked the policy's other cancellation provision, which only covers involuntary job loss after at least three years of continuous employment. This does not apply to your circumstances.
As a result, we are unable to approve this claim.”
Before and even after I filed the claim, I have been unable to find this language about their coverage. Regardless, I tried to follow up to say that I couldn’t get there due to the storm anyway, but their denial still stands.
I can’t help but believe that all and all claims are denied; some reason will be found. I will never buy such insurance again.
No comments:
Post a Comment