Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Running on Marco Island

1/1/08 – I was one of the first people out on the streets of Marco Island. I hadn’t even stayed up till midnight, so when I awoke at 5am, I felt fine. I did a whole lot of exploring on the island, eventually heading over the bridge at the western end. Altogether I did 21 miles on (and off) the island in 3:03. Although it was very warm (mid 70s) I was very strong and steady till the end. A very good start to the year.

1/2/08 – This time I decided to run on the beach. It was 30 degrees colder (mid 40s) and the wind was wicked. But it was clear, and the sunrise was beautiful. I ran to the south end of the beach, for 3+, then ran to the desolate north end, turning at about 8. Altogether I did 11 in 100 minutes, which isn’t bad for beach running whilst getting sand-blasted. And whilst carrying a heavy coconut for the last 2.

1/4/08 - Yesterday saw record low temps and cold winds, so I took it off. Today I did 11 in 96 minutes, mostly around the south end of the island. I had started slow - with an 11 minute mile on the beach. But I got going fairly nicely on those quiet, rich streets. It's finally beginning to warm up again. Not much yet, but it's getting there.

1/5/08 - It was only a bit warmer, and still windy.. I needed 16 to get 70 for the week, and I managed to do 17. The first 11 were on the roads, exploring the area to the north, including access to tigertail beach and some restaurants on bald eagle. Those were slow - I just couldn't get moving at all. Only about 9+ minute per mile pace. Then I hit the beach for the last 6, and surprise - they were faster! Don't know how that happened, but it is a good beach for running. Those averaged about 8.5 minutes.

No comments: