Sunday, May 18, 2008

Running in Romania

Tuesday, May 13, 2008
I had to get out and back early because of an early work schedule. Thought about 10, but could only manage 5. I did do a bit of exploring here in Bucharest. I mostly wanted to find the metro station. This I did manage to do. The run itself felt MUCH faster than it actually was. It was almost as slow as 10 minutes per mile, but I thought I was going at a smooth fast pace. Oh well, I’ll try again tomorrow.
The running around here really isn’t that bad. There are plenty of parks, paths along the river, and of course the route around the HUGE palace of parliament.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008
This run was pretty much like yesterday’s. I had a very slow start so early, and it just took a while to get moving. Once I did, it wasn’t so bad, but I still only did 6 miles at about 10 minute pace. Not so great.

I ran along the small river, this time further west than I’ve been before. There is a big lake and park there at the end, but I had to turn at this point as I was running out of time. Some time I’ll try to run around there once I reach it.

Even thought the running ain’t bad, I’m having trouble with loose dogs. They’re all over, and they’re scary.

Thursday, May 15, 2008
This run was even more like yesterday’s than yesterday’s was to the day before. I ran along the river in the same direction, but went a bit further at the lake. I saw a dam, but still no lake – I had to turn back because of running out of time once again. Today I ran faster, but still slower than 9 minutes per mile. At least each one got faster until I was at 8 minute pace for the last one.

Still feeling beat up. Don’t know whether to rest more or to run more.

Even with that beat-up feeling, I also feel the need for speed. Especially with all the slow miles I’ve been doing. Since the fitness center doesn’t open till 6am, I can’t use it in the morning. I have to eat and then go by 6:30 each day. So today I went down there at 5pm and stepped on the mill. It was hot in there, so I didn’t feel well. But I did get in 4 x 1200 @ 4:45; 6 miles altogether. A bit of speedwork is better than none at all.

Saturday, May 17, 2008
I thought about not running because I’m so beat up (I took Friday off), but I woke up early and what the heck. I did the usual run along the river, but went on a bit more – it took a while to get over to the lake (I did a roundabout route), but I finally made it. It wasn’t a beautiful lake, but it was big. The biggest problem was the dogs. There were even more there any other places. Altogether 8 miles in 72 minutes. The miles generally got faster as I went on.

Sunday, May 18, 2008
This time I was tired and sore from all the walking yesterday and not from running. But I was determined to run 15 or so, and I did. I got out a bit later than usual, and boy was it warm. I ran along the river on the other side of town – heading southeast rather than northwest. After a while I turned around and then did the usual part again, followed by a bit more around Izvor park near the hotel. The miles generally got faster as I went on – the last few were my best. I did the 15 in 2:12.

Still got to get faster. I think I’m gaining a lot of weight.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008
I was determined to pick up the pace. One problem is slow starts. Others are the dogs and darkness. Today, I thought I’d just run loops around the Palace of Parliament and adjacent Parcul Izvor. It turned out to be only about 2.25 miles around, but it was enough to help me get moving at a half-way decent pace. After a couple 9-minute miles, I got down to blisteringly fast sub-8 minute miles. I was really flying! (wink). I did 3 laps, each a bit faster than the last, and a bit extra to make it 7 miles in 59 minutes. Boy am I good (wink). The best part was not having to stop or worry about dogs or open manholes. I may do this one again.

In the late afternoon I hit the hotel dreadmill for some speed. I did the same workout as I did last week – 4 x 1200 in 4:45. Why is this so difficult for me? 1) I’m still beat up. 2) I ran in the morning. 3) It’s bloody hot in there. 4) I’m old, slow, bald and fat, not necessarily in that order. But as with last week, I got through it. 6 in 42 and a half. Swim afterwards.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008
I started a little slow, but this time I didn’t get moving until late in the game. In the middle I felt dizzy. I ran in familiar places – the river and Izvor park. I find that I do go slower along the river – probably because it’s darker and I’m less sure about the footing. Also there are more intersections. Not the greatest. 6 in 55. Only one more day of running here in Bucharest – tomorrow. Then it’s back to running at home.

Thursday, May 22, 2008
This would be my last outside run for this trip. I wanted good quality and decent amount of distance. Turned out to be so-so in both aspects. I mainly ran the usual loops around the big house because I can usually run the fastest doing that. I managed 8 in 69.

Well I did do one more run – late in the afternoon on the mill. Same as the last two of these – 4 x 1200 in 4:45, altogether 6 in 42.5. Once again it practically killed me. Now that was really it for the trip.

No comments: