Friday, August 16, 2019

Featured Runner


Every month the Medina County Roadrunners feature a member in their monthly newsletter. Recently, I had my turn. Here it is:

Can you give me a short description about yourself?

I run a lot. But you probably already knew that. Instead, let me tell you a little about my non-running life.

My day job is this: I’m a project planning analyst specializing in software metrics. I positively love this work. More so when it doesn’t conflict with running, traveling, or spending time with the family.

Did I just mention travel? Yes, I like to explore far and wide. I consider myself lucky to have had some wonderful travel opportunities so far. And I’m planning more all the time. Related to some extent, I also like hiking, theater, good food, and other cultural stuff.

Besides MCRR, I belong to, and serve on the executive board of another organization called the Sierra Club. I have strong feelings about the environment, and I believe we all need to work together to leave the planet a better place.

I enjoy writing. I have three blogs on the topics of running, travel, and the environment. This is at least some indication of what’s important to me. I’ve written a couple dozen articles and I’ve self-published two books.

I mostly like spending time with my family and friends. This takes precedence over work, travel, and even running.

How long have you been running?

The bronze age was just ending. I was lucky that they selected Pheidipides instead of me to run from Marathon to Athens in 490 B.C. A little more seriously, I started running in the mid-1970s, when running became a thing. Sure, people did run before that, but it was mostly on the track. There wasn’t much road or trail running until that 1970s running boom.

My first marathon was also the first Cleveland Marathon in 1978. I didn’t know much about training, other than I needed to run a lot. That’s been my mantra ever since.

Do you run alone or with a group?

Both. Weekdays are mostly solitary, with a few exceptions. Weekends are nearly always with my MCRR peeps. I do prefer having the company. As you might guess, I’ve had a lot of running partners over the years, many of whom have become good friends. But none have been as great as my MCRR buddies. MCRR is da best.

Road or trail?

I love trails 1: The Towpath and similar trails – those that are straight, wide, and smooth - are just the thing for me.
I love trails 2: Slightly rougher trails like bridle trails are also fine, but for hiking, not for running. I don’t really like face-planting myself.
I love trails 3: Trails that are rougher still are also fine. Except for rocks. And roots. And mud. And ankle-twisting ruts. And stream-crossings. (Also see #2)

I don’t really like the hard surface of roads, but they work better for me overall. I do try to get 25%-35% of my running done on softer surfaces however.

Running in 0F or 90F?

How about neither? I think I suffer less in the cold, so I prefer the former. But I usually can survive the latter, especially if I’ve gotten used to it. Don’t get me started on cold rain, however.

Favorite race distance? why? 

Over the years, my favorite racing distance has undergone quite the evolution. I think my first fav was 10K. Even as I began running marathons, my 10K runs were always a great experience and challenge. At some point, it switched to the marathon. I think this was because I started doing so darn many of them, and because I actually reached a point where I was reaching my goals. Then came 100K. I did a few of them, and despite the challenge, I was happy with the results.

Now it’s been years since I’ve run that far. But I have done some 50s. 50 what, you ask? A couple years ago I ran a few 50 milers including the National Championship, and they mostly went okay. Maybe you can say that that was a favorite distance. Until it wasn’t. I haven’t even done one of those in a while now.

Now it’s just 50Ks. I’ve done a bunch, and I’m still doing them. So after all that, 50K is my favorite race distance. Wasn’t that simple?


Most memorable race? why?

If you know me, you probably think I’ll talk about the 2008 Green Jewel 100K. You know, the one where I had to run fast in order to get done in time to get on a flight to Europe, except that I got lost in the downpour yet still made it. Or maybe my only completed 100-Miler: Mohican in 2001. But no. Instead, allow me to tell you about my first sub-three hour marathon.

After that 1978 Cleveland marathon where I ran a 3:04, I had it in my head that I wanted to break three hours and qualify for Boston. Three hours was the standard for Boston for years and years, although it was even tougher for one or two years: 2:50. I tried to break three hours for eleven years, coming close a few times. Then finally, the 1989 Cleveland Marathon came around. I’d worked and trained, trained and worked, and I finally put it all together and ran 2:59. I remember the bright sunny day, the warm temperatures (which were not helpful), talking with others along the way. Mostly I remember the final quarter mile on Euclid Avenue. I was running fast and strong, and I felt great. Time seemed to stand still as I knew I’d made it, and just wanted to savor that moment.

Then something ironic happened. Within a couple weeks, Boston drastically relaxed their qualifying standards, to 3:15 in my case. I had already been qualified based on previous races. I still liked where I was at, however. I’d gotten the formula right, and managed to break three hours six more times. Nothing feels like running strong at the finish of a fast marathon. Nothing.

Dream race/destination?

There are a few runs and races on my bucket list. Rim to Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon is one. Comrades (Ultra)Marathon in South Africa is another.

Favorite pre-race food/drink?

For a marathon or anything longer, a small bowl of cereal works well. And coffee. There has to be coffee.

Favorite post-race food/drink?

I don’t eat a whole lot of red meat. But for some reason, after a long race, I crave a nice, juicy steak. I suppose it’s the protein.

Favorite local route/place to run?

I love Hinckley, but in my mind, it’s the Towpath. Peninsula and the Station Road Bridge areas are some of my favorite places on Planet Earth.

Do you cross-train? If so, what do you do? 

I lift weights – light ones – a few days a week. I also swim (poorly) about once a week.

Have you ever run in costume? What was your favorite costume?

No, but some people say I dress funny anyway. Also, there was that time that I stood in for Roy Heger as race-director for the day so that he could run his own race, Run with Scissors. My wife helped me disguise myself to look like Roy, and he sure was surprised to see me!

What’s the most ridiculous thing a non-runner ever said to you?

After a friend and I trained together and ran that first marathon, an incredulous non-runner asked, “How did you ever train for such a thing?” (Remember, marathons were rare in those days.) My running buddy, who just didn’t want to get into all the intricacies of our training regimen, replied, “We ran a lot.”

Name of an MCRR member that you want to us to interview next: 

Christine Orwin

No comments: