Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Going a Little Too Fast

I've been pretty good about getting to the track once a week for the past month or two. Most track workouts (I hesitate to call them speedwork) take place at the Mayfield High School track. It's close to work, so I can drive up there early and beat the morning freeway traffic. After the run, I drive a couple miles to the Fitness Center, shower, dress, and then walk over to the office. It works.

Things took a slightly different turn today. I was minding my own business driving in on I480, when I saw the flashing lights behind me. Surely they weren't for me, I thought. Oh yes, they were. I got a citation for driving 76 in a 60. This is ironic, because I've been known to drive even faster, and may well have been, had there not been a car in front of me doing the same speed. I was the unlucky one. It's also ironic that traffic sometimes moves even faster still when there is somewhat more of it. This early morning there wasn't all that many of us about. I suppose it's easier for cops to single victims out when they're sparse.

Although I was a little upset, and although I was now starting later than planned, I was also determined to still run some (relatively) fast 800s today. Could I do as well as last week?

I could, and I did. Barely: only 1 second better per repeat. But an average of 3:43 is something I'll take.

It isn't too fast.

No comments: